The striking front page is headlined “Here’s looking at all of you,” and features black text on a white background with no images or graphics.
Under the masthead is printed “nine editions to go.”
“The first mX edition rolled off the press in Melbourne on February 5, 2001 … with the core focus of taking readers’ minds off their busy day,” the message reads.
“That’s been our passion and commitment to you ever since, but the rapid growth and distraction of mobile devices has applied too much pressure for us to continue.
“It’s been a fun and frenetic journey for all who have had the privilege to work on mX over the years, and every single member of the mX family is gutted by the decision to pull down the curtain.
“But no more navel-gazing for now. We’ll be getting you home with a smile on your face for the next nine working days. Thanks for picking us up, and for all the genuine messages of support flooding in from our amazing readers.”
The front-page statement is signed off by editor-in-chief Craig Herbert.
News Corp Australia today also confirmed the mX app will shut down at the same time as the newspaper.
mX had relaunched its app in March to coincide with a redesign of the paper. It was a ground-up revamp of the original mX app, which won Best App or Mobile Site at last year’s PANPA Awards .
“We started with a blank piece of paper and asked, if we were to design an app for an 18- to 34-year-old audience, what would we have?” publisher Tamara Oppen said at the time.
The redesign was seen as a way to drive commuters to mX instead of the other digital platforms vying for their attention.
“Killing time waiting for buses and trains is typically a time people would jump onto Facebook – we’re hoping they’ll now jump onto the app,” Ms Oppen said.
The only advertising on the app is native content.
News Corp Australia did not disclose whether the app had been as successful as hoped.