Wednesday marked the return of News Corp Australia’s social media campaign Snap Australia – encouraging readers to photograph their cities, which has extended in 2017 to 18 additional regional mastheads.
The campaign went national last year, encouraging readers to take photographs of their local cities and post them to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with the appropriate hashtag for the region.
The expansion of Snap Australia to Queensland regional mastheads follows last year’s acquisition of APN’s newspapers into News Regional Media.
NRM editorial director Bryce Johns said the 18 papers in this division joined the campaign.
‘’The regions we operate in – like Cairns and the Sunshine Coast – are some of the most beautiful in the country. We simply had to let our readers be part of this, they have so much to show off and to be proud of.’’
The campaign was conceptualised, designed and created by News Corp Australia’s trade and consumer marketing and creative services teams, earning them a 2017 PANPA Advertising and Marketing Award.
News Corp Australia’s community arms – Leader Community Newspapers, Messenger Newspapers, NewsLocal, Quest Community News and Community News Group – have been large supporters of the campaign. Camera brand Canon and retailer Harvey Norman Photo Centre returned as national partners in 2017.
News Corp Australia’s executive general manager, community media, Fiona Mellor said: “With the success of Snap Australia across Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney it seemed only natural to embrace News Regional Media into the program.”
The best images posted will be featured at www.snapaustralia.com.au and in News’ respective print mastheads, connecting the community to their newspapers.
To celebrate the campaign, News hosted pop-up installations in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, featuring DJs, screens with live feeds of the images and photography walking tours.
Last year’s campaign reached 1.9 million people on Facebook and Instagram and earned two International News Media Association Global Media Awards – second place for Best use of Social Media 2017 and #SnapMelbourne taking second Place for Best Use of an Event to Build a News Brand 2017.
The mastheads involved include:
- Cairns Post – #SnapCairns
- The Advertiser – #SnapAdelaide
- Central Coast Advocate – #SnapCoast
- The Chronicle – #SnapToowoomba
- Community News Group – #SnapPerth
- The Courier Mail – #SnapBrisbane
- Daily Mercury – #SnapMackay
- The Daily Examiner – #SnapClarenceValley
- Fraser Coast Chronicle – #SnapFraserCoast
- The Daily Telegraph – #SnapSydney
- Geelong Advertiser – #SnapGeelong
- The Gympie Times – #SnapGympie
- Gold Coast Bulletin – #SnapGoldCoast
- The Mercury – #SnapHobart
- Herald Sun – #SnapMelbourne
- The Morning Bulletin – #SnapRockhamton
- Leader Community News – #SnapMelbourne
- The Northern Star – #SnapNorthernRivers
- Messenger Community News – #SnapAdelaide
- The Observer – #SnapGladstone
- NewsLocal – #SnapSydney
- The Queensland Times – #SnapIpswich
- News Mail – #SnapBundaberg
- The Sunday Telegraph – #SnapSydney
- NT News – #SnapDarwin
- Townsville Bulletin – #SnapTownsville
- Quest Community News -#SnapBrisbane
- Warwick Daily News – #SnapWarwick
- Sunshine Coast Daily – #SnapSunshineCoast
For more news from NewsMediaWorks, click here.