Home » News » Global round-up: Filipino journalist shot dead

Global round-up: Filipino journalist shot dead

Journalist Melinda Magsino was shot dead as she walked along a street in a Philippines village on Tuesday, according to reports in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, where she worked until 2005. CCTV footage shows a man wearing a singlet approach the 40-year-old victim from behind and shooting her in the back of the head at...

Your next read

Journalist Melinda Magsino was shot dead as she walked along a street in a Philippines village on Tuesday, according to reports in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, where she worked until 2005.

CCTV footage shows a man wearing a singlet approach the 40-year-old victim from behind and shooting her in the back of the head at close range.

Philippines police say the gunman escaped on a motorbike with another man. She had been tailed by the gunman as soon as she left her house, the newspaper said.

Ms Magsino is the 173rd Philippino journalist murdered since 1986.

In 2005, she wrote: “The list of murdered journalists here is too long. I have to survive. I don’t want to become another statistic,” according to the Inquirer.

The former journalist had exposed alleged corruption and illegal gambling by the local governor, who has since died. She had “a confrontation” with the governor in 2005, according to the newspaper.

Since leaving print media in 2010, she ran a series of accusatory Facebook pages pointing the finger at certain public figures who she believed were corrupt.

 

Newsweek Europe redesigns print mag

Newsweek’s European offshoot has undergone a print redesign just one year after launching.

The revamp was announced by editor-in-chief Richard Addis, who also said the magazine’s future “must definitely be online,” according to journalism.co.uk.

The new look includes the addition of a weekend section, focusing on travel, art, books and fashion, and a business section focused on Europe.

Mr Addis said the changes are intended to create “a more European magazine,” and will make the print version “a bit of a luxury add-on” and a “treat” compared to the website, reports journalism.co.uk.

The first new-look issue appeared on April 9.

 

New UK audience metrics

A new organisation has been created to replace the UK’s National Readership Survey, which has measured newspaper audiences in the UK for more than six decades.

Readership measurement will instead be undertaken by the Publishers Audience Measurement Company (PAMCO) from next year.

“This is an opportunity to start afresh, and say the publishing industry is getting to grips with digital,” National Readership Survey chief executive Simon Redican told journalism.co.uk.

Specifics of the new metrics that PAMCO will use have not been made public and companies are tendering bids to run the service.

The new organisation will take a different approach, and Mr Redican hopes the PAMCO can “be more customer-friendly, and allow people to better plan and market the audiences that are delivered across all the platforms than maybe we had previously”.

Advertisers and publishers will still fund PAMCO as they did its predecessor.

“When your starting point was 60 years ago in a print-only world, a mindset change is needed,” Mr Redican told journalism.co.uk.

 

UK regional daily funded to digitise 1m photos

A daily newspaper in regional Britain has been awarded GBP20,000 to digitise around one million historic photos going back more than a century.

The Wolverhampton-based Express & Star has now received money from the University of Wolverhampton, the Heritage Lottery Fund and the newspaper’s publisher to undertake the huge task.

“The photos document the lives of our communities throughout the last century,” editor Keith Harrison said in the newspaper, according to the website Hold The Front Page.

The money is being used to recruit consultants who can help plan the scheme, which will then be used to apply for funding to undertake the digitisation itself. The photos would then be made available to the public via a website.

The Express & Star is Britain’s biggest-selling regional daily.

 

Reuters Iraq bureau chief forced out by threats

Threats on Facebook and the website of a religious paramilitary group have forced Reuters journalist Ned Parker out of Iraq, the newswire service reports.

Mr Parker is Baghdad bureau chief for the news agency and left the country shortly after posts on a Facebook page believed to be linked to Shi’ite paramilitary groups called for his expulsion and murder.

A news program on a satellite television station broadcast an image of Mr Parker and accusations he had denigrated the country three days later.

Mr Parker had previously reported for Reuters on human rights abuses in Tikrit following the city’s liberation from the Islamic State.

A spokeswoman for Reuters is reported by the agency as saying it stands by the accuracy of its report.

Related downloads
image_pdf
Filed Under: News

Reader Interactions