Home » News » HuffPost, Fairfax end partnership

HuffPost, Fairfax end partnership

After two years in the Australian market, the partnership between HuffPost Australia and Fairfax Media has come to an end. HuffPost will operate as an independent business from December 1 with reduced staff numbers. The Sydney-based news publisher currently operates with a team of 31. Some redundancies are to be expected if staff cannot be...

Your next read

After two years in the Australian market, the partnership between HuffPost Australia and Fairfax Media has come to an end.

HuffPost will operate as an independent business from December 1 with reduced staff numbers. The Sydney-based news publisher currently operates with a team of 31.

Some redundancies are to be expected if staff cannot be redeployed.

A spokesperson for HuffPost Australia said: “Employees were briefed today on the decision of HuffPost and Fairfax to bring the Australian joint venture to an end. HuffPost will operate a standalone Australian edition from December 1 with a smaller local team. If redeployment is not possible, regrettably redundancies will occur.”

Fairfax took up a 49 per cent HuffPost in August 2015, with the remaining 51 per cent left the hands of American owner AOL.

The end of the joint venture was initiated by HuffPost, mirroring a similar move to end the partnership with The Times Of India earlier this year. Like India, the Australian bureau will continue with reduced staff numbers.

New global editor-in-chief Lydia Polgreen has been the driving force behind the global restructuring of the business. Ms Polgreen joined the company in 2016, replacing co-founder Arianna Huffington, who left the company to pursue new ventures.
Related downloads
DOWNLOAD PDF
image_pdf
Filed Under: News

Reader Interactions